Exploratory Pathways banner - Declare.

Congratulations - you've decided on an area of study! Now you can move beyond your Exploratory Pathway and into the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences or KU Professional School of your choice.
We can help navigate how to declare or apply to your major!

Declaring a Liberal Arts & Science major: 

Some College of Liberal Arts & Science majors have admission requirements you must complete or be in the process of completing before you can declare. However, most do not! We strongly encourage you to meet with an advisor in your desired area of study and create a plan to graduate. College of Liberal Arts & Science advisors are listed here. Your UAC advisor can also help you schedule this appointment! 
Let CLAS know you are ready to declare! Update your interest code to reflect your chosen major. See below. 

Applying to a Professional School:

Professional Schools have specific combinations of admission and GPA requirements, as well as specific application deadlines. Here is how to navigate a professional school website!

  • The 'Academics" tab will tell you all about the different degree options a Professional School has, and what classes you would be taking.
  • The "Admission" tab will tell you how to apply to get into that Professional School to complete a major. Be sure to follow the instructions for "current KU students". 

Before you apply you can update your interest code to "pre"- (major choice)! See below. 

Places to check for Admission Requirements and Application deadlines:
1. The Academic Catalog 
2. The website of your chosen degree under their "Admission" tab!
3. Your Advisor! Always check in with us to see if you are ready to apply or declare.

Updating your Interest Code: During an advising appointment, your advisor can help you update your academic record to reflect your area of study.  You are also welcome to stop by 109 Strong Hall in person and request to declare your major, or email collegeadvising@ku.edu from your KU email address (be sure to include your ID and the major you want added and/or removed). 

  • For a CLAS major - you can update your interest code to directly reflect your selected major since they have no admission requirments. 
  • ​For a Professional School that has an application process - you would update your interest code to "Pre" -(Professional School). Example: Pre-Business.
    This lets that School know that you interested in their program. Often, it also signs you up for important updates and newsletters! While you are a "Pre"-professional student it's important to keep track of your application deadlines. 

In addition to your major - don't forget you can add minors or certificates. Sometimes, you can even get a double degree

Schedule with your Advisor!

Advising appointments with Jayhawk GPS!